Friday, March 23, 2007

CW2,3

The last two Sundays of the CW pilot have been amazing. Our numbers were a little small last week due to spring break, but I was glad to see several visitors coming back.

What was interesting to me was comments from parents whom I haven't met before who brought their kids back because the kid "really liked it." Let me explain. These kids don't come to Sunday School, which is rotation and supposedly fun filled and action packed. [Personally, though I like rotation SS much better than popsicle stick Jesus SS, I think it lacks something, but that's an issue I can't tackle right now, and I try to supplement the lessons as much as possible.] But they come to the Children's Worship pilot--no curriculum, no "action," no puppets (puppets give me the heeby jeebies anyway), no flashy lights and mesmerization--just pure adoration and worship of God. It's simple, heartfelt, and real, and these kids want to come back for it. I'm amazed and overwhelmingly happy by that. They aren't coming back to CLPC because of what we're giving them. They're coming back because they enjoy worshiping God, and that is just...well, I don't have words for it...indescribable.

The other interesting comment I've heard is from the workers who all say that the kids are more focused and involved than they've ever seen before. Again, so cool bc it's just pure God and not a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

We've done the worship with our hearts and strength, and this weekend is soul, which I'm particularly jazzed about because a group of kids are doing an interpretive dance as the message. They choreographed much of it themselves based upon the music and lyrics, and it is enough to bring you to your knees. And we're even going to have a dance station where they can just freely dance to music. I'm a dancer, though, so it's cool to me. We tried to vary the messages for the pilot: drama, video, discussion circles, and now dance, just to give them a flavor for the many ways to praise God. And we've varied the prayer station, too, last week being rocks that the kids could write their prayers on. Note to CM workers: that was a hit. They really got into that and put them in their gardens or special places when they got home.

We're putting out a survey for the kids and parents this week, so I'll be interested in seeing what they have to say about it.

1 comment:

margieh said...

Very very cool!!