Saturday, August 12, 2006

The big weekend is here

Well, after much planning and many nightmares of me waking up and forgetting that I was supposed to be at work and then running to work in my PJs while everyone is tearing all the decorations down (whew!), the weekend is here in exactly 7 hours. What am I doing to prep for it? I'm sitting in my PJs eating cheerios, reading blogs, drinking cherry coke, and talking to my cats. I'm trying to have a few moments of sanity before the chaos begins.

Tonight's the easy night: dinner and a movie. Tomorrow's a different story.

I've been thinking a lot about a post I read about Chuck E Cheese Church.
That's sort of what I feel like we're doing. The goal, in theory, of this BTSW is to minister to kids--to pray for them and to pray for their teachers before they go back to school, but I feel that goal has gotten lost somehow into this madness of trying to corral new members. All the meetings focus on getting visitors to come back, and while that is important, I feel like if we keep our focus on praying for the children, God will work on those families.

Don't get me wrong. We need to be an inviting church, but games and rides and tickets and flashing lights aren't in anyway as powerful as praying for a child or teacher who needs it.

This is what I've learned over cheerios and cherry coke, and I think that keeping my focus on what really matters will help me brush off any little things that go wrong this weekend. Who cares if one of the games is a dud, if we can send one child to school with the armor of God surrounding him/her?

No comments: