Wednesday, August 30, 2006

FAT Ministry

An article I recently read was "How to Recruit a FAT Ministry Team" by Roger Fields. It basically talks about shedding the old begging routine with ministry and making it appear like an almost elitist position to serve. Note his thoughts:

"Put out the word that working in the children's ministry is by invitation only; no volunteers will be accepted. You can ue the bulletin for this announcement. Make it known that from now on working in the children's ministry is an honor. People who are truly called to this ministry will let you know."

I believe that we shouldn't just recruit willy nilly, but should we actually put those words in the bulletin? If I were new to a church and saw that working in CM was by invite only, I'd not only tell them to stuff it, but I would leave and find a new church.

2 comments:

The JadedCM said...

I try to do some of these things. If anything...just to be slightly deceptive!

I am always needing volunteers, I just don't make it sound like I am always needing volunteers.

Calvary Kids said...

I struggle with finding the balance of communicating the need without sounding desperate or guilting people into serving. Part of it is selfish pride, but I want people to serve because they find kids min exciting and they have a heartfelt desire to reach kids.