Monday, September 11, 2006

I need a retreat

It's my day off, but really, I have so much to do at home that I can't find time to refresh. I need some time, though, because too much is happening all at once.

Something strange is happening at the church, and I can't tell if it is good or bad. I think it's the chaos before the good really. We have an interim pastor and a pretty young/new staff right now, so that always shakes things up, especially in a Presbyterian church.

I didn't grow up Presby and have always worked/worshipped in Methodist churches, so the culture is a little new to me, more new than I thought it would be. Plus, the area is pretty affluent, and I'm used to working with either inner city kids or less affluent suburban families. I mean, many of the issues are the same with all CM work or any work with volunteers really (apathy, lethargy, misuse of time, etc), but there's some spirit in this church that I can't quite put my finger on. All I know is that I have the strongest urge to fall down literally on my knees and pray for us without ceasing.

For the past few weeks, I've had several somewhat negative encounters. They aren't negative outright but in a way that I can't put my finger on. They just feel negative. I know I sound like a nutjob, but there's something just weird. There's much much much miscommunication, and I am usually the queen of communication (English major, afterall), but I'm having trouble getting people to correctly hear what I have to say. Also, there's intense division happening. The different services are divided against each other. People with different backgrounds are dividing against each other. Parents divide against each other into little cliques--parents of preschoolers don't mingle with parents of elementary or parents of jr high, etc., and they all vehemently fight for their group without regard for another.

Sunday school groups are fighting to steal people (to be the popular group), and small groups aren't open to receive others. It's like rush week at college. I hated rush week, and I hate seeing that culture permeate a church, the success driven culture.

Another weird thing: The school district is the new church. School activities trump any church activities, and man, let me tell you, these people have themselves stacked with school activities. And if their kids are homeschooled, they are stacked with park district activities, particularly sports. The swim team forces parents to attend and work every meet, and they do so without questioning (well, I have to do it or little Suzee will get kicked off the team and won't get scholarships, and I know that she's only 6, but you've got to plan ahead for her future), but they won't volunteer at a church event. Again a focus on success, whatever that means.

Where is the future? Is the future in little Suzee's college years, when empty nest mom and dad have no idea what to do now that they aren't micromanaging her life? According to an article in Psychology Today and further discussed on A Nation of Wimps, with cell phones, they will continue to micromanage. Suzee needs them to.

Or is the future much farther ahead (or closer than we think)? What about her future with God? What about her present with God?

I'm not articulating my thoughts well because I can't even get a grasp on them, but I just feel like weeping or praying or both for the church, and though I think that we are headed for something great, the "right now" is very troubling.

4 comments:

Calvary Kids said...

How frustrating! My initial reaction is that the transition in leadership is the cause of the division, bickering, and skewed priorities. I wish I had some words of encouragement, but I can only offer empathy! My biggest frustration with ministry is when I feel like my hands are tied due to lack of authority or resources.

CLPC Kids said...

Yeah, well I'm one of the young/new staffers, and I know that the changes I have made have shaken some things up, but I also think that part of it is just the postmodern culture, a prevailing need for security.

How can we, as a church, ease or support that need? How can we help to show that "success" doesn't always happen and that it doesn't always breed happiness? How can we create a community at church that fills or even replaces this need for security, not a Mayberry community where everybody knows everybody necessarily (but that's not a bad thing) but where everyone chooses a relationship with God and with God's family over making the right team or being in the right circles to get them ahead?

Anonymous said...

Hey there Friend,
it sounds like the People are attending Church because it is the thing to do, but have no commitment to Christ or the Church. Along with the ever present, volunteer virus. My prayers to you and I missed seeing you here in Illinois!! :(

Btw, the church I went to as a Child was Presbertian, much more formal then FUMC…. However, it could just be that one church. I do agree with you on the problem… the societal social climb, the ever full day – I so do not remember this much intensity in my day – what ever happened to a Day for Rest and Family and the Church being a part of family?

Calvary Kids said...

I responded to your comment on my blog, but wasn't sure if you'd check back! I'd love to chat with you outside of blogworld sometime. My e-mail is christybecher@aol.com