Monday, September 18, 2006

Stream of Consciousness

Went to the conference this weekend which was a bust, really. JCM was right--it's good for first timers and for getting craft/game ideas. I did get a few tidbits of good information, but networking was almost impossible, and really the whole thing felt like a giant resource fair. I felt like each seminar was just to advertise the products they had to sell on the back table. This is why I stopped going to conferences years ago.

I was, however, introduced to the God Rocks videos. They're reminiscent of Schoolhouse Rock but designed to help with memorization of Bible Verses. Why did I not see these before?

Planning 2 big events back to back (what was I thinking): Fear Not Festival Oct 27 and Art Auction on Nov 11. After much prayer and brainstorming, I figured out a way to make my team comfortable forming sub committees. Originally, I had them each taking up a section of an event and forming a subcommittee from that, but that was too daunting for many of them. So I now have groups of 4 forming subcomittees together, and they are just exploding with excitement. In fact, I may have to reel them in a little because they're treading on thin ice budgetwise (not a bad problem to overcome really).

Art Auction: I need to think of a name for it. We're not only having it set up like a gallery with a silent auction for the kids' art, but we're going to have music, a coffee bar, and poetry readings. It's more like an art celebration than just an auction. The theme is The Glory of God, and kids aged 2 to grade 5 can submit.

Lots of behind the scenes stuff going on. I've been involved in ministry all my life (my parents were CMs), but I'm always surprised by the amount of underhanded backstabbing and control issues that happen in the church.

Going to change the name (and possibly location) of this blog soon, so I'll let everyone know where the new site is.

Ok, it's Monday, my day off, so maybe I should get some things done around the house for once!

1 comment:

The JadedCM said...

Sorry the conference was a bust. I thought you might not like it so much.

I am seeking a good one for next year but haven't come across it yet.

More and more people I talk to are dissatisfied with CPC. That's too bad.