Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Presentation

I gave a presentation this weekend on Generation Mosaic, how to relate to them, and how to get them connected to Sunday School and to the church in general.

My research led me to a few conclusions about this generation (younger Y and Z): they are charitable and volunteer oriented (ideal missionaries), tech savvy, very sensory, well educated, and a little bit of everything. Problem arises between the generations because Ys and Zs aren't linear thinkers, as a whole. For example, when watching the CNN screen, Boomers will look at mainly the anchor talking and ignore the rest of the screen. Xers will selectively look at both, and Yers will see it all at once, taking it all in and not necessarily prioritizing one piece of news over another (do they need to, really? depends). Fast edit video and video games have contributed to this style of thinking, which is not a fault but a difference. The problem is that past generations, though different in thought and values, could still communicate those values effectively amongst each other, whereas the older generations are frustrated with Yers because they don't think in the same left brained, linear way.

How do we relate to them? through the 4 R's: being real, relational, relevant, and rigorous. Mosaics want adults to be authentic. Being real communicates integrity and helps foster trust, something they want to have with adults but don't readily have with them. They know adults don't have it all together, and they want to hear that. Gone is the 1950s Cleaver perfection.

Relational is what post moderns are searching for in churches anyway--a community. Mosaics are no different, except that they probably desire it more. My Space is booming with kids looking for community/relationships, and don't tell them that their "friends" list (known for a few weeks) isn't as important as someone mom and dad have known for years. Their friends are just as valued, even if they haven't met face to face, which is the beauty of Cyberspace really. So building on being real, establish relationships with these kids outside of SS.

Relevance--educational theory supports a need for kids to connect what is learned to real life. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one, readers, but relevance helps those lessons stick.

Rigorous--this one is the hard one bc rigor has a negative connotation of stiffness and rigidity. By rigor, I mean persistance. Don't give up on these kids, and be rigorous about helping them iron out priorities. Helicopter parents have hovered so much that Mosaics can't make decisions on their own--they've lost their voice. Any coach or teacher is going to tell them that their sport/activity is #1 priority. Problem is, these kids are so overprogrammed and have let others prioritize for them for so long that they try to do EVERYTHING as #1, burning themselves out in the process.

Church, however, has become one of those things that parents put on the back burner bc God will forgive an absence but Coach won't. The rigor comes into play when we remind kids of the first 2 commandments when setting priorities and have them learn to make Biblically based decisions on their own through prayer and Biblical insight.

Also we need to be rigorous about making sure that they have internalized the Bible story/lesson. Workshop rotation is cool and exciting, but if they can't connect the science project to the Bible lesson, there was a breakdown somewhere (probably in linear vs nonlinear communication). Use KWL: find out what the kids already know, then what they want to know, and what they've learned at the end. Ask for clarification. Involve them in analysis throughout (What do you think is going to happen? Why did Jesus do that?). And, again, WR has its downfalls because of having a different teacher from week to week, but make sure you ask, "What did you do last week? And how does that relate to the 1o leper story?"

Anyway, a 4 hour workshop is hard to summarize in a blog posting, but the presentation went well, and I've been asked to give a modified version to a parent SS class soon. I'm on the cusp of X and Y, so I can see both sides and am sometimes linear and thinking and sometimes more right brained. I see neither as negative, but if we don't bridge the gap in communication, we're going to lose these kids.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a fantastic presentation!

How much of Ivy Beckswith's resources did you use? I lent out my copy of "Postmodern Children's Ministry", so I can't quite remember how much of this she covered.

At any rate, I'm just overwhelmed to see the effort and care you've put into this – even if you say it's hard to cram a 4 hour workshop into a single post. I wish I could have you come to our church and give this presentation – it feels like I'm swimming up a creek without a paddle here, trying to both better understand how to bridge the gap myself (though being squarely a member of the Y generation and straight-up postmodern thinker helps) and help others to see this gap which nobody wants to acknowledge. It's tough.

So just so you know, if you ever want to post the materials for your workshop, at least one person would be glad to use them! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really insightful.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Kim, that last entry was from me. :)

Meghan

CLPC Kids said...

Actually, I lent mine out, too, so I didn't use it in my research (though I've probably got some of the ideas stuck in the back of my head). The majority of my info came from George Barna and Willard Daggett, but I got much of it from doctoral classes in education and just tweaked it to fit Christian ed.

I'm revamping the powerpoint presentation (which includes a bibliography), so when I get it fixed, I'll be happy to send you (Daniel) the material or talk with you about it. BTW, do you use wordpress for your site? I'm hoping to switch over to a site of my own and am trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

It's funny. The presentation was just a small one to a guinea pig audience, but it has created a ROAR within the church and without--a good roar, that is. I didn't realize how big this would be.

Anonymous said...

"The presentation was just a small one to a guinea pig audience, but it has created a ROAR within the church and without--a good roar, that is. I didn't realize how big this would be."

Hallelujah! That's all I gotta say. :)

I would love to see the Powerpoint/speaking notes when they're all fixed. In fact, I'd love to create a similar uproar in my church – although I'm somewhat cynical about things anymore and might just want to create an uproar for uproar's sake. (I walked in on the curriculum team's meeting last week and they were discussing "coloring sheets." COLORING SHEETS! Do we really need to consign our kids' faith to inside the lines? GAH!)

I really love WordPress, by the way. It's a breeze to set up if you have your own server, and even easier if you go with a big server provider – like Dreamhost, who has a one-click install that will get the latest version of WordPress going for you. My site is awful looking right now, but I'm slowly learning how design with WordPress in mind – for the non-designer, though, there's TONS of great templates to start you off with. Lastly, WordPress is very user-friendly and flexible – for instance, it's one click to import all your old posts from, say, here (Blogger).

Comes heartily recommended.

Calvary Kids said...

Great stuff! The non-linear thinking part really resonated with me. I like where you are going with the reflections on that with workshop rotation activities! I can totally relate to that concern.

The thing about authenticity and multi-tasking really hit home for me last year when we used some really edgy new multi-media curriculum. We got serious flack from some adults about the crazy fast-paced images that were used. The same critics also complained that the "characters" in the videos were not good role-models for kids. The characters were not the Cleavers for sure. But they were authentic - they were real people struggling through the things that we all struggle with! I don't think we held them up to be role models, but some think that everything we put in front of kids has to be white-washed and perfect.

Sorry to ramble - it was an ugly experience and I still have some emotion about it!

I'd love to see your outline too!